About RBI Austin
Supporting Austin’s Inner-city Youth
What We Do
The hands and feet of RBI Austin are our volunteers. Our children wouldn’t be able to participate in a Christian-based program if it was not for our volunteers’ sacrifice of time.
Make Baseball Affordable
RBI Austin makes baseball and softball (and year-round relationships!) affordable and accessible for all youth in Austin — regardless of their age, their skill level, or their family life.
RBI Austin is an ideal home for more advanced players to develop. This wouldn’t be possible without investment from our volunteers and donors who seek to provide a quality sports program.
Close The Gap
Since 2011, the disparity in team sports participation between kids from low-income and middle-class homes has grown drastically. During that same timeframe, RBI Austin has grown from 118 kids in 2011 to over 1,400 kids playing baseball and softball in 2019.
Who does RBI Austin serve?
RBI Austin targets youth and families from Austin’s underserved communities. Jr. RBI is for boys and girls ages 4-12. RBI is for boys and girls ages 13 – 18. In 2019, RBI Austin served 1,491 kids. All people are welcome to participate in RBI Austin programs regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, ability, ethnicity, religion, or ability to pay.
Is RBI Austin a nonprofit organization?
Yes, RBI Austin is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization (Tax ID 82-3961043), and is governed by a local board of directors.
Is RBI Austin faith-based?
Yes. RBI Austin’s mission and vision are driven by the gospel of Jesus Christ, and we provide opportunities for participants to be developed spiritually through optional mentoring and discipleship programs.
How is RBI Austin funded?
RBI Austin is 94% funded by contributions from individual donors, foundations and corporate sponsors. Our program revenues account for the other 6% of our budget.
What does “RBI” stand for?
RBI stands for Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities.
Who started Major League Baseball’s Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities (RBI) Program?
John Young, a former Major League Baseball player, developed the concept of RBI in 1989 to provide disadvantaged youth an opportunity to learn and enjoy the game of baseball. To read more about how RBI was started click here.
How many RBI programs does Major League Baseball have?
There are approximately 300 Major League Baseball RBI programs established in more than 200 cities worldwide. Since the inception of the program, over 1 million children have participated in MLB RBI programs and annually as many as 150,000 boys and girls play in an RBI league.
Who runs other RBI programs?
All RBI programs are run by local organizations including Boys & Girls Clubs, MLB and Minor League Baseball Clubs, faith-based organizations, community-based organizations, independent baseball/softball organizations, and grassroots organizations.
What is RBI Austin’s relationship with Major League Baseball?
RBI Austin is an affiliate of Major League Baseball’s RBI program. While MLB serves as a resource for RBI Austin, it does not provide any funding toward RBI Austin’s operating budget.
See Arturo’s Story
No where in Austin can you find a better group of people! Love this organization!
- Candice M.
Love RBI Austin. The coaches and staff are incredible people. We have made lifelong friends.
- Danielle G.
I’ve been with RBI for a few years now — as a player, as a coach, and as a intern — and there is nothing like being a part of this family!
- Julian G.
We genuinely LOVE RBI and what the league/organization stands for. I was so impressed with how the coaches, who don’t have kids of their own, serve and love the kids.
- Linda M.
Over the past 4 years we’ve had the privilege of having our kids on teams coached by some amazing people. The capacity they have for not only being dedicated but committing to loving the kids is inspiring.
- Lawrence L.
Follow RBI Austin
Giving By Check
Mail a check payable to “RBI Austin” to:
500 E St Johns Ave, Suite 1.420
Austin, TX 78752
How Donations Are Used
RBI Austin is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization and all donations are tax-deductible. Our Tax ID # is 82-3961043 and our legal name is RBI Austin.
Your charitable gift will provide year-round hope, love, and guidance to inner-city Austin youth through baseball, softball, and mentoring. Our RBI kids are truly blessed by your support.
For more information about how your donations are used, see our impact report.